Sunday, October 17, 2010

Saturation of Solutions Experiment

We explored solutions further and discovered the fact that solutions such as salt and water, can too be separated, by using EVAPORATION.

Below you will find a slideshow that shows our class making SATURATED solutions, and then pouring them into evaporating dishes, that we left sitting out over a weekend, to let CRYSTALIZE, so that we could study their CRYSTAL STRUCTURES. When a solution becomes saturated that means that no more SOLUTE can be dissolved into the SOLVENT. We discovered that 2-3 5g spoonfuls of salt will SATURATE a 50 mL vial of water. Water is often called the UNIVERSAL SOLVENT, because most things will DISSOLVE, or spread out, into it.

The key to making the salt dissolve in stirring or shaking... here are just a few pictures of us making the salt dissolve...



3 comments:

  1. I HAD SOME TROUBLE IN THE VIDEO LIKE I HARDLY KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING SO THANK YOU FOR HELPING 8#

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS A NOTHERE LETTER I FORGOT TO MINCH IN SOMETHING ALSO HAD SOME PROBLEM IN SCIENCE I LIKE SCINCE I WILL TRY TO POST YOU EVERY DAY BECAUSE I HAVE A PROBLEM HERE IT GOES ON THE BRAIN POP VIDOE I WILL TEEL YOU IN CLASS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that plants keep dirt from erosion.I also included everything on the west side of the school#25

    ReplyDelete